Information Sources for Sophia Gardens
- A.A. Pettigrew: The Public Parks and Recreation Grounds of Cardiff
An unpublished account of the history of Cardiff's parks in six volumes, available for reference in the
Cardiff Central Library
Local Studies department. As well as other references to Sophia Gardens there is a dedicated section in volume 1, pages 38-53.
Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales - Coflein(pdf)
Sophia Gardens entry in the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW),
the national collection of information about the historic environment of
Wales. The name is derived from the Welsh cof (memory) and lein (line).
- Western Mail newspaper articles
Contemporary reports and notices from the 1880s and 1890s, accessed via
the British Newspaper Archive or 19th Century British Library Newspapers
- Cardiff Council - minutes of meetings - available for consultation
at the Glamorgan Archives
- E.C. Roberts: Reminiscences of a City Engineer and Surveyor, in
Glamorgan Historian Volume 3 1966, edited by Stuart Williams, pages 170-187.
On page 181 the former Cardiff City Engineer describes the building of the
Sophia Gardens Pavilion.
- The aerial photography unit of the Welsh Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NQ
The Welsh Government can be contacted by telephone on 0300 0604400
Pathé Film - Fashion Show In Cardiff AKA Berketex Fashions 1952