Roath Park in Cardiff occupies a strip of land from Llandennis Road in the north to Penylan Road at the south east, including a lake more than a mile around. The park was created in the late 19th century to meet the need for recreational space arising from the rapid expansion of Cardiff's population. Designed and laid out by the Borough Engineer William Harpur and by William Pettigrew, the Head Gardener later Chief Parks Officer, it was built on former bogland donated by the Marquis of Bute and other landowners in 1887. Work began in 1889 and Roath Park officially opened on 20th June 1894. A bandstand was added in 1903 followed by a concert pavilion in 1921. The Scott Memorial, sometimes called the lighthouse or clock tower, was constructed in 1915. Exotic and uncommon trees were planted from the park's earliest days. The present day Roath Park has the second largest (after Bute Park) rare and champion tree collection in a municipal park in Britain.
The slide show above contains only a small sample of the postcards of Roath Park. The postcard collection has been arranged according to the different sections of the park, and links to these are given blow. This is followed by links to more general information on Roath Park held on this site:
Roath Park history articles by Anne Bell: