Originally there was a smithy with sheds and stables in the Botanic Garden area of the park. In July 1898 it was decided to move it to waste ground by the railway bridge on Fairoak Road which would be fenced in for use of the Parks Department. This was shown on the 1901 Ordnance Survey map.
Later when the new parks depot was completed in 1901 the smithy moved there. The site in Fairoak Road was then laid out as an ornamental space.
The Juboraj Indian Restaurant now occupies the small patch of land where the smithy once stood. The railway line is now the A48 dual carriageway.
Sources of Information
In general, the information in this section is taken from A. A. Pettigrew, The Public Parks and Recreation Grounds of Cardiff, Volume 3.
Other sources are: