Five islands were originally created in the lake and provided habitats for water fowl. Construction of the islands was in progress in 1892 and the Head Gardener was authorised to order 1,000 trees and shrubs to plant on them. By late December it was reported that four of the five islands had been planted.
The northwest-most island appeared on the 1940 Ordnance Survey map to have increased in size.
In March 2001 the Council received a report on the problem of silt build-up in the lake, stating that in about 1988 silt was used to create one large island from two existing ones. This is confirmed by an aerial photograph taken in 1991 which showed four islands, whereas in a 1983 photograph all five were present.
Sources of Information