In February 1930 a grassed area to the east of the bandstand was set aside for open air dancing during musical performances taking place in the concert pavilion. Dancing became very popular during the summer months, including during wartime. In September 1941 the Chief Parks Officer reported to the Parks Committee that 48,343 people had paid for admission to the outdoor dancing enclosure at Roath Park since the season began on 17th May. Receipts amounted to £604-5-9d.
Towards the top left of the photograph a cannon can be seen in the magnified view. This might have been one of the two cannon from H.M.S. Havannah presented to the Parks Committee in 1905, and placed towards the east end of the Promenade. (They can be seen in postcards originating around 1910 and showing views of the Promenade from the east.)
The plan below dated 1940 shows the positions of the pavilion, bandstand and the lawn for dancing.
Sources of Information